Functions of IOPEPC :
Development of Oilseed & Produce Exporter :
The Council places higher emphasis on development of oilseeds, edible oils, oilcakes and other products under its purview. The Council works towards improvement of yield and quality of oilseeds being produced in India so as to match the requirement in global markets.
Procedure for export of Sesame Seed :
Ministry of Commerce, Government of India has shifted development and promotion of sesame seed and Niger seed to the Council. IOPEPC is committed to boost the Indian image as consistent supplier of quality Oilseeds and Oils to global markets.
Responding to the concerns of European Union regarding quality of sesame seed imported from India, IOPEPC has been assigned the responsibility of establishing a procedure for sesame seed export.
Promotion of Mulching to enhance yield of quality groundnuts :
During the visit of focal group to China, measures such as mulching were identified to improve groundnut yield in India. The Council sponsored this noble project and demonstrated the benefits in terms of much higher yield and quality improvements in groundnuts on pilot project basis at the farms in Gujarat. The Council continues to work towards promoting this technology to the groundnut growers in India.
Addressing Pesticides related issue at the Farm level :
The importing countries are always concerned about the pesticides residues in the agricultural products being supplied by other countries. In order to create awareness amongst the farmers to use safe and permissible pesticides, the Council organizes various activities so the problem is minimized at the farm level itself.
Creation of Awareness amongst farmers and processors :
The Council also organizes workshops for promotion of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) amongst Indian farmers and training sessions for processing units for adoption of HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
Strengthening Supply Chain :
Regional Meetings at various parts in India are also organized so as to strengthen supply-chain and create awareness regarding the quality issues amongst stakeholders in the trade and industry such as exporters, processors, traders, brokers and service providers in oilseeds and oils sector.
Following are some of the activities of IOPEPC :
Fairs & Exhibitions :
• Organising participation in International Trade Fairs most of which are are entitled for Market Development Assistance (MDA) Scheme of Ministry of Commerce, India.
• Participation in domestic Fairs to educate the visitors regarding export potential in various markets.
• Establishing contacts with the prospective buyers by organizing exclusive Buyer-Seller Meets (BSMs) both in India as well as in overseas markets
• Organising visits of delegation of its members abroad to explore overseas market opportunities.
Liaising with Government :
• The Council facilitates interaction between exporting community and Govt. both at the Central and State level. It also has representation in various committees/panels of Central and State governments.
• Advising Government on the export-import policy matters.
• Coordinating with various Government agencies/departments with regard the issues faced by members
Defending Interests in Global Markets :
• The business interest in the destination markets are defended by contesting trade distortion measures such as anti-dumping duty, safeguard duty and works towards removing non-tariff barriers impacting Indian exports.
• During the consultations at multilateral level such as WTO, UNCTAD; the Council provides inputs to the government to promote interests of India's oilseeds and derivatives products.
• The Council regularly communicates with Indian Embassies, trade bodies and associations in various countries in order to resolve the issues faced by exporters.
Conducting Trade Meets & Surveys :
• Conducting Crop Survey to assess the supply-demand situation well in advance so that effective export strategy can be chalked out
• Conducting market surveys and providing market intelligence through various cluster studies, research reports & journals.
Providing Effective Dispute Settlement Mechanism :
The Council also acts as Institutional Arbitrator to provide speedy justice at much lower costs, thereby providing an excellent dispute redressal/settlement mechanism.
Certification of Warehouses and Processing Units :
• The Council has been entrusted with the responsibility of inspecting warehouses and processing units which are engaged in the exports of peanut and peanut products to various countries.
• The Council also extends professional advice on conforming to the standards so as to qualify for grant of Certificate.
Training and Productivity :
• To increase productivity by upgrading technical skills of professionals engaged in the sector, the Council organizes various training programmes at different locations throughout India.
• Offering professional advice and services to members in areas of technology upgradation, quality improvement, standards and specifications, certification such as HACCP.
Information Dissemination :
• Circulation of government Notification/Public notices/Orders, Statistics, global events, government schemes, trade enquiries and other important articles related to Oilseeds and oils sector through emails as well as monthly News Bulletin.
• The Council also releases an annual Souvenir which provides concise trade information and Contact details of the members.